Friday, May 28, 2010

Stand up and be Counted

PRESS STATEMENT



First of all I would like to thank all members of the Media for attending this P.C. I know you have been kept busy by MIC for the last two weeks by MIC related PCs.


I would like to thank DSSV for appointing me to the post of Secretary General of the party. It is the highest appointed post. I am mindful of the heavy responsibilities of the post. It requires that I shall conduct the business of the Congress in accordance with the Constitution and shall carry out the instructions of the President and the Central Working Committee.


However I owe a heavier responsibility and loyalty to MIC over and above any one individual, even if that individual me or the President of the party.


For the record, I am also an elected CWC member. It is the very foundation upon which I have been appointed as the Secretary General of the party. Therefore, I am answerable to the delegates, the branch chairmen and to my fellow MIC members. They have voted me into the CWC.


I cant’s forsake my own conscience and the interest of the party to safeguard my own position in the party.


I am a great admirer of Martin Luther King Jr. In fact I have used his quotes on all my party campaigns and on my blog. This quote resonates with me:


“I have always felt that ultimately along the way of life and individual must stand up and be counted and be willing to face the consequences whatever they are”.


I believe that the time has come.


I am not here to argue about the tenure of the current President nor the merit in the argument asking him to step down.


What I am against is the use of the Presidential Powers to expel a member; and even that elected CWC members for asking him to step down earlier than his announced date. That is not what Article 61.2 of the Constitution was intended for.



Please remember, it was this current president who set the precedent some 40 years ago by publicly asking the then President Tun VT Sambanthan to step down. History is repeating itself or you can call it “Karma”.



MIC is democratic party with a system of check and balance. Delegates have voted in CWC members for a reason.


Summarily expelling members by use of presidential powers will not solve the problem within the party. If anyone disagrees with the view of another member, he should offer counter arguments, not summarily expel him.


If it is considered that his actions are detrimental to the interest of the party, please refer him to the disciplinary committee and give him the right to defend himself.


The Presidential Powers of expulsion should be used as a last resort, not as the first option.



The Indian Community is watching us. The nation is watching us. We are sending wrong signals to Indian youths who might be interested in joining the party. How are we to unite the Indian Community with its diverse views if we don’t respect dissenting opinion?


Please remember, we must go back to the voters who are the ultimate deciders of our fate.


I still have great faith in MIC and its ability to lead the Indian Community. I love this party. It is the responsibility of each member to make it strong and safeguard its democratic principles. This is my contribution towards that cause.


I trust God and the people are with me on this.


I have stood up and am willing to face the consequences, whatever they are.


Thank you.



S.Murugessan
MIC


Lets Move Forward
http://www.facebook.com/S.Murugessan
http://s-murugesan.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/SMurugessan
http://www.youtube.com/user/SMurugesan12

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr Murugesan,
I have only read in books but have never actually witnessed anyone risking all personal position and glory that he worked so hard to attain for the greater good of the community and subsequently the nation.

I have total respect for you and your stand. I admire you. You are indeed a brave man with integrity.

Today I have witnessed a true leader on the rise. My hats off to you.

Best Regards
David

Anonymous said...

Hats off to you Muru!!!

This is awesome… a brave stand indeed

Krish

justicia said...

dear sir,
i salute you sir for your conviction on this matter. Lord Acton,an English historian once said that "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."
what happen now in MIC is true to this word of wisdom. Indian need new leader. Period!

Unknown said...

Congrats. You have done the right thing. Stand up and be counted. May GOD bless us all.

Ravi said...

Well said. Time to make a stand.

Anonymous said...

A man can't ride your back unless it's bent.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Rastaman

Sriniwasrao said...

I am a student yet i do follow the updates of the politics. I am totally upset of the sacking of you from the MIC Secretary-General Post by the President. The presdient is just sacking everyone who speak up. Where is democracy in MIC? I just wonder why the Deputy President is not commenting anything about this.

Anyways, syabas and thank you Mr Murugessan for your bravery in highlighting your dissatisfication of the sacking of members who speak up against the president. Sadly, you have become a victim of the 'democracy' in MIC.

Regards,
Sriniwasrao

Unknown said...

Never liked MIC, always thought it was an embarrassment to be associated with it, neither do I like the opposition, only respect very few individuals from both sides of the divide, for the principles they stand by. Today I respect you.

Azmi Manap said...

'Hidup Murugessan! 1 Malaysia!'

seruan rakyat Malaysia segala bangsa

Rahman Abdullah said...

Mr. Murugessan...
U ARE THE TRUE HERO OF MALAYSIA!

I am in awe of your actions. If every politician in this country had your courage and principles, Malaysia will be a turly progressive nation

We support u all the way...

Rahman

Maran Matters said...

Maaran Matters solutes you...

In the name of the best within you, do not sacrifice this world to those who are its worst. In the name of the values that keep you alive, do not let your vision of man be distorted by the ugly, the cowardly, the mindless in those who have never achieved his title. Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the approximate, the not-quite, the not-yet, the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle. The world you desired can be won, it exists, it is real, it is possible, it's yours.

I am proud of you for the FIRST time brother.