Sunday, April 6, 2008

News Sunday Times, 6th April, 2008


Attached below please find My Interview with Ms Veena Babulal of NST published on 6th April, 2008

Email to friend Email to Friend Print article Print Article
Share
S. Murugesan says communities want to see people stand up for them and be their voice
S. Murugesan says communities want to see people stand up for them and be their voice

KUALA LUMPUR: A defeat at the ballot box in the 12th general election simply means life goes on for MIC Subang parliamentary candidate S. Murugesan.

The 40-year-old looks forward to returning to his legal practice in Klang and service work in Shah Alam.

There has also been word from Astro Vaanavil that Sattam, a legal talk show he hosts, will start shooting its second season soon.

Murugesan hopes to stand again in five years' time "as a wiser man". He admits the election outcome left a bitter taste in his mouth.

"Like victories, defeats have to be taken with sportsmanship. I was shocked by my defeat after the encouraging response I received on my rounds, but the voters are always right."
He urged some BN candidates to "listen, because the customer is always right".

"BN representatives have come to the level of explaining government policies to the people, telling them to accept them. But the people's issues are not voiced," added the father of three.

Murugesan said BN had to examine itself.

"Instead of bickering about the electorate, it's high time to find out whether this is a change in our political landscape or the people venting their anger."

Alarm had been raised over the Indian vote swing to the opposition after the Hindu Rights Action Force rally last year, but what Murugesan had not expected was the shift in votes among the more affluent.

Bukit Lanjan, the state seat for the posh neighbourhoods of Tropicana, Bandar Utama and Damansara Perdana, was his "biggest loss", he said.

Besides Bukit Lanjan, Paya Jaras and Kota Damansara were plagued by local council woes. Strata title problems, high water tariffs, late rubbish collection and unreplaced street lights were the most complaints to Murugesan.

"They don't vote for councillors, so they look for the next elected representative, even though they know their MP or state assemblyman's capacity is limited.

"People are not stupid. They know they cannot get everything they ask for. But they want to see people stand up for them and be their voice. That's the part we have not grasped, the expectation many of us have not met."

6 comments:

Vineeth said...

congrats...Your last paragraph was the main reason.. many of your collegues in MIC are yet to realize that.

When i commented it in your very first post.. some where unhappy about it.

why dont you join any of the multiracial party.You could do better. i personally feel that MIC & MCA is not the way for future.You check out my take on racism in my blog.

cheers..

Murugesan Sinnandavar said...

Thank you Mr. Vineeth. I haven't logged on to your blog yet but I will do so.

Yes, I agree that we must go past racial politics and I appreciate the 'push' in that direction by all concerned. That is truly the way forward for a progressive Malaysia. However, for a party to be truly multi-racial it must must have the support of all the races and promote people based solely on merits. The 'multiracial' parties that we have still haven't broken away from the racial composition of its members. Often a 'mutli-racial' party will be dominated by one race and all key positions are held by people of that race. Whatever position that is held by 'others' are held to fulfill the 'quota' of others. This is BN by another name. I definitely want a truly Malaysian Malaysia. Lets work towards that.

Cheers Vineeth. Lets keep exchanging ideas...

karepu said...

You have the capability to be a good leader but unfortunately u r in wrong boat. Now Indians are looking at you as same boat with semi value. I wont ask you to jump to another party but to tell you frankly, MIC is finished and needs at least another a generation to do a political comeback. Any how hope you will go back to ur constituency to serve the people and lets see whether they accept u or not.

Anonymous said...

Vanakam Murugesan,

I am very happy to see that you have not given up on MIC. MIC represented many of us Indians. MIC’s failing was that when Mahathir came into power, MIC became the government’s representatives instead of ours and Datuk Sri S. Samy Velu had many ill advisors who were only interested in their own profit. Never the less MIC still did much good for our community. My family was one of many beneficiaries of MIC aid. Megha Nandir to MIC, I am proud to say that my son is a successful doctor.
I have been tracking your progress ever since your CWC victory. I know you are a much calibered young man. However it is unfortunate that you lost the general election. I hope you realise that people did not vote against you, they voted against MIC.
I don’t know how you are going to bring back MIC into the forefront but I hope you will do it. I wish you Good luck and Gods blessings in all your undertakings.

Best wishes
R. Rajarathenam

Murugesan Sinnandavar said...

Vanakam Mr.R. Rajarathenam,

Thank you very much for your words of encouragement. I am touched by the fact that you have been following my 'progress'.

Sir, I will serve to the best of my ability for as long as I can. The rest, I leave it to God.

God bless you and your family Sir.

Murugesan Sinnandavar

Anonymous said...

Vanakam Sir,
Mr Rajarathenam is not the only one who has been following your progress. Many of us have also been following your progress. To many of us middle class, educated Indians you represent a new and modern era of leaders in par with The UMNO elite.
For our sake and the sake of all Indians in Malaysia, I sincerely hope you succeed and I sincerely hope your hard work and dedication will be recognized by all especially by people in our community.

All the best.
Sri Shan