Sunday, July 27, 2008

We Cannot Change the Cards We are Dealt, Just How We Play the Hand


I have many friends and teachers that I have never met.

They are a part of me and what I am. They are authors of great books that I have read and cherish.

One such great friend and teacher is Randy Pausch, father, husband, professor of Carnegie Mellon and author of “The Last Lecture”.

I can't give a better introduction to the book then Randy:
"I HAVE AN engineering problem.

While for the most part I’m in terrific physical shape, I have ten tumors in my liver and I have only a few months left to live.

I am a father of three young children, and married to the woman of my dreams. While I could easily feel sorry for my-self, that wouldn’t do them, or me, any good.

So, how to spend my very limited time?..."

Randy was diagnosed with cancer (I am not sure exactly when, as Randy thoughtfully omitted that detail from his book) and was told in August 2007 that he had only a few months to live.

With that in mind, Randy gave his last lecture at the Carnegie Mellon University on September 18, 2007, before a packed McConomy Auditorium. In his moving talk, "Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams," Randy talked about his lessons learned and gave advice to students on how to achieve their own career and personal goals.

That lecture was recorded as a legacy for his three children so that they can relate to their dad and listen to his 'lectures' for them from the beyond. It became an Internet phenomenon and was subsequently published as a book, "The Last Lecture".

"Almost all of us have childhood dreams; for example, being an astronaut, or making movies or video games for a living. Sadly, most people don’t achieve theirs, and I think that’s a shame. I had several specific childhood dreams, and I’ve actually achieved most of them. More importantly, I have found ways, in particular the creation (with Don Marinelli), of CMU’s Entertainment Technology Center of helping many young people actually *achieve* their childhood dreams." - Randy Pausch

For further information about Randy and to view the Last Lecture, log on to www.thelastlecture.com

That special friend and teacher passed away last Friday.

Farewell my Friend. You have become a part of us and will live in all of us through your Last Lecture. Thank you for the pointers, Teacher.

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." - Randy Pausch



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for tuning us on to Randy Pausch.

You are quite an erudite, unlike any of your MIC counterparts. I am impressed

Regards
A new fan