Sunday, February 16, 2020

A Dollar and a Dream



A Dollar and a Dream

Chandran woke up as usual that morning. The thing was, it wasn’t just another day for him. It was his birthday.

Chandran does not a make a big deal out of his birthday. The night before, at around midnight his wife mumbled “Happy Birthday” to him.  Both of them  half asleep half awake. He mumbled back “Thanks” but he was distracted after that. He lied in bed wondering what has he achieved in the last 51 years. Sure, he had all the trappings of a successful man but somehow that wasn’t enough for him. He always felt there was something more to life. A sense of unfulfilled promise lingered on until he dozed off.

Chandran felt his way around the bedside table to get his glasses as he got up. He saw a piece of A4 paper with something written on it and a US one dollar bill on top of it. 

“So, Appa, it’s your birthday today. So, Happy Birthday! I honestly don’t know what to get you. So, I thought of giving you something meaningful; meaningful to me at least. My favourite rapper, J. Cole, wrote a song called “Dollar and a Dream III.” That has been my motto for years now. I started 2018 with nothing more than a Dollar and a dream. Literally, I had ‘0’ in my bank account and RM6 in my wallet. I went to Jusco and changed RM4 to a dollar and used the balance for parking. This was on the 31.12.2017. I told myself that I will never be in that situation ever again and never looked back. Literally started 2018 with a Dollar and a dream.


Since you are in the next chapter of your life and you’re trying to figure out what that chapter may be, I figured I’d give you a Dollar as well. I have a dollar and a dream. Now, you have one too. It may be small but my “Dollar and a dream” has always kept me going for a long time and I hope this dollar of yours will help you as well.


With that being said, I would like to thank you for all your guidance and sacrifices you’ve made for me and our family. Nobody can ever dream of a better father as you. Thank you for everything appa. I hope this Dollar will help you as much as mine did for me. I have my Dollar and a dream. You have a Dollar now. Time for you to fulfil your dreams. I love you Appa, more than you’ll ever know.
Signed"


“Your son gave me this” said Chandran to his wife after he read it, showing her the letter and the dollar bill. 

“Well, it’s good to know that your son can write a few paragraphs.” He went on.

Chandran didn’t expect  this from his son.

“You know, your son has either given me the best gift ever or he just settled my birthday gift for under five ringgit” said Chandran.

Chandran felt light as he showered and got ready for work. He was sure that it had something to do with the gift but just couldn’t put his finger on it.

The part where his son said that he loved him made him feel good. Still, that wasn’t it. He always knew his son loved him despite the difficult times they went through. Chandran, being a father as fathers do, always leaned heavy on his son when it came to his son's laid back approach to life. He worry that his son might find life tough after he is gone.

“My son is now encouraging me to chase my dreams” thought Chandran as he  drove to work. 

“Not bad, he is giving me the talk I should be giving him at this age.” Thought Chandran of son his college going son.

Yes, he has a dollar and a dream, a gift from his son. He was proud, no doubt, that his son had the presence of mind to think of such a gift. Still, the peace he felt went deeper.

Fathers carry an unspoken burden. To prepare his child for this world - for the boy to be a man, the girl to be a woman. The thing is, one is never sure. Most fathers agonise over this one question till their very last breath.

Chandran felt peace. The unspoken in the letter told him. His son is now a man.


Muru

No comments: