Friday, March 20, 2020

Silver Lining - Movement Control Order

Silver Lining

Its the third day of Movement Control Order

This is what I noticed so far:

1. Listening from my room, the noise of morning traffic is reduced.

2. I can hear more of the birds chirping. But that could just be me, not hurrying to work every morning. I wake up as I wish and go to bed when I wish.

3. We have lunch and dinner together as a family, now that no one is out for one reason or another. 

4. This is the best ‘holiday’ I can ask for. I don’t have to rush from one tourist spot to another to cover everything. I don’t  have to worry about the price of meals at tourist eateries  and I don’t have to worry about the odd client calling on some outstanding matter.

5. I get to watch all the television I can take, practise my sitar and read till I doze off, all without a tinge of guilt.

6. The supermarkets and grocers are open. I can buy almost any food that I want. Bought milk, ice-cream and chips for my kids. They ran out of kuaci. That’s the main reason I walked up to the grocer in the first place. That’s OK, I can’t have it all, all the ti

7. Like the waters in the canals of Venice that are clearing up as the sediment settle, so is my mind. Things look clearer. Priorities are sorting themselves out and are settling into their rightful order.


8. I feel for my sister. Her daughter, my niece is working around the clock at the Segamat Hospital. She is worried sick about her daughter’s well being. Her son who just graduated from Medical school might also be called up anytime soon due to shortage of doctors. The previous generation sent their sons to battle-front and waited anxiously at home to keep everyone safe. This generation is sending out their sons and daughters to  the battle-front in the form of doctors, nurses, policemen, lorry drivers, cleaners, supermarket cashiers and all the other essential service workers to keep us safe. The least we can do is not to put them at risk by our own sense of self-entitlement and foolishness. We owe it to them to bring them home safe. We are in this together. 

No comments: